Monday, September 24, 2007

Overdue: Beaches South of Manila Part One

As the title says, this post is long over due. Sheila and I have been to two beaches earlier this year and I have been amiss in posting the photos we took and experiences we had.

Beach One: PUERTO GALLERA, MINDORO ORIENTAL (17-18 March 2007)

Woke up 5:45-ish am saturday morning so that I could pickup She 6:00am. Doesn't sound logical? Yup, it doesn't. I should have woken up 5:30 at the latest but Slumberville is just miles away... :D Managed to pickup She around 6:30am.

So we drove: Los BaƱos-Calamba-Batangas City route via the CALABARZON Southern Tagalog Arterial Road (STAR) Tollway. Ambilis ko dun! :) Reaching my father's home city of Batangas, we turned right at the diversion road in Alanginan. If we were going to the city proper, diretso lang po...

We went straight to the pier. Being new to the place, we managed to find the park-and-go area and disembarked. We bought tickets going straight to White Beach, Puerto Gallera (how much, i don't remember...). At the departure area, we could see all walks of life... (may pic ba tayo dito, She?). We boarded the boat may be 15 minutes before the ETD. The boat left 45 minutes late... *)&^%#$&^%*^ So what's new?

The trip to the beach took around 45 minutes. We arrived at White Beach where we immediate went around to find a reasonable place to stay. We inquired at the Sunset Connection, which was unfortunately full. The caretaker (gay sya ha) found us a *ehem* room for two which, hay, we eventually accepted. Not the best but coming to one of the go-to beaches without a reservation, you just have to lower your standards quite a few rungs.

After settling in, we dozed off until lunch (until our stomachs were awake). We chose an ihaw-ihaw for lunch: chicken barbecue (large) and a couple of bottles of SanMig Light. We walked around, shooting the scene and what not (just check the gallery link later). We had our henna tattoo also. Note to eventual tattoo-ee's: make sure you do this first things when you come... trust me.

We wandered around the "commercial" area of White Beach to buy me a pair of sunglasses. I picked an imitation Oakley (poorly made!). The color of the temples bled with my sweat! Another note: bring your own shades!

By early afternoon, we crossed the stony/rocky part of White Beach to reach the "other" side: Aninuan beach. Unlike White Beach, this area only had may be 10% of the people! Very quiet! She and I picked a shady part... The shade was provided by a mangrove so, obviously, spikes were everywhere! Yikes!

Minding our tattoos, we plunged into the clear blue-green water... Sheila and I also challenged each other on who would have the farthest pebble jump (or most number of pebble jumps). I won of course! Hehehehe...

We headed back to White Beach before it got dark because we had to cross again the "rocks."

For dinner, we had lobsters (yummy!) and a few round of drinks of course! I also took my antihistamines (bummer- my lips were swelling already after my second spoonful). After dinner we again went around the commercial area for some souvenirs. We bummed at the other end of White Beach at gazed at the stars.

By this time the pills were taking it's toll on me: no allergies (well, just a mild one) but I was already half asleep! Sheila almost literally dragged my ass to bed!

The day after, we had our "final" beachy moment. We left White Beach after lunch and proceeded to Port Muelle, to our disappointment... We planned to take the big boat from there but, no... Big boats don't dock there anymore. But well, at least we got to pick the seats. :)

Back at Batangas City, we ate at Gerry's (SM Batangas City). And then back to home sweet home. :)

No comments: